Use this to encourage lawmakers to support older adult volunteer programs.
According to this issue brief, states can help to fully promote the benefits that older volunteers offer organizations and communities through such activities as these:
- Creating networks to connect older adults to volunteer opportunities that are appropriate by age, interest, and expertise.
- Encouraging volunteerism among state employees before they reach retirement age;
- Lowering transportation and cost barriers to volunteering.
- Improving volunteer management and training capacity in organizations to increase volunteer productivity and satisfaction.
- Supporting volunteer programs that build intergenerational bonds to encourage the sharing of experience, enthusiasm, and culture among age groups.