Use this to encourage lawmakers to support older adult volunteer programs.
This issue brief provides several strategies governors and other state leaders can pursue to reduce barriers and engage older adults in activities that will improve their health and financial well-being.
Strategies include the following:
- Establishing public-private partnerships to review the issue of engagement and recommend solutions.
- Increasing awareness of the benefits of work, volunteering and education among older adults and businesses.
- Creating connections between older adults and work, volunteer and educational opportunities.
- Strengthening engagement opportunities within state workforce, aging and education policies.
- Encouraging public sector employees to remain in the workforce longer, reconnect to work after retirement, and volunteer.